Welp. Tumblr on Firefox has not been working, hence the loooong delay in posting (I’m on Safari now). Not too much of excitement to report, other than the fact that my knee started killing me during my run today, so I’m icing it now. I got about 4.5 miles before I had to stop to walk because it hurt so much. :( I’m going to take it easy for a couple days and ice it and hope that that helps.
Some runs, I feel like my feet barely touch the ground, like I could keep going forever and ever.
And then some runs, like today, leave me out of breath and walking and lamenting the two weeks I took off from running. I ran 5 rather brutal miles today, and while I did only stop to walk twice for probably a total of 1-2 minutes, there weren’t any bursts of effortlessness that usually come a couple miles in. Let me just say, to be completely clear, I don’t think there is ANYTHING wrong with stopping to walk. It’s totally respectable, and I do it when I need to without shame. I was mostly disappointed with the fact that 1-2 months ago, I was running up to 13.1 miles, whereas now 5 is a struggle. I know I have to work back up to it, and that I can (I’ve done it before after all!), but I wish I could expedite the process somehow. Alas. I’ve mapped out the weeks ahead and this time am hoping to get up to a marathon distance. I think having a plan will help me stay on track and hopefully I’ll be able to run a marathon this summer! :)
DUDE I ate so many vegan brownies today… This recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie is pretty incredible. Like, eat-most-of-the-doubled-recipe-tray incredible. Seriously, go make them right now. In terms of exercise, I walked around with a friend for about an hour but didn’t do much other than that. My day has consisted of a leisurely breakfast, hanging out with a friend, baking (and eating) brownies, and playing Animal Crossing with my brothers for hours. All in all, totally awesome. Tomorrow I’ll work out and eat fewer brownies, and all will be well with the world. :)
Tuesday Torture Anyone? 10 Minute Total Body Challenge
Tuesday torture anyone? :)
This is a CRAZY workout that’s perfect for those of you short on time. All you need is 10 minutes, your body weight and a timer.
I love quick ‘n’ dirty workouts, but this one is NUTS. Intense, but a TON of fun! The workout is a combination drill: you’ll go through several exercises back to back to count as 1 rep, then repeat the combo as many times as you can in 10 minutes.
Try to pace yourself and minimize breaks: it’s brutal, but very efficient. Warm up first (as always) and take 5-10 minutes to cool down and stretch (total workout time 20-25 minutes).
Tuesday TortureA. Walkout To PushupB. Forearm Plank Walk Up To BellyC. Roll, Get Up & Tuck D. BurpeeRepeat.
There are a few ways to do this workout (see below), but I did the 10 minute AMRAP. I gassed out HARD, but still managed to get 42 reps in 10 minutes (the last 10 were harder than the first 32!).
Do your best: even 10-20 is REALLY tough.
Other ways to do it…
I’ve reblogged this before, but I simply love it. I wanted a little more of a workout after yoga this morning, and this is short and simple but definitely satisfying!
Celestial Seasonings, oh how I love you. I bought the Roastaroma (which I keep calling “Roastarama”) flavor today, which is really similar-tasting to coffee. I LOVE coffee and used to drink it all the time, but I would always crash really bad in the afternoons and it affected my sleep a lot. While it’s clearly tea, it definitely does have a coffee-ish feel and is caffeine free, which means I can drink it all the day long. AWESOME.
In other news, hungermonster has been growling for dark chocolate all day, so I’ve been complying. We’re going to blame this one on ladyparttimes and carry on with the yums.
Just did about half an hour of yoga with my dad! He seemed to be having a hard time but was a really good sport and stuck out even some of the slightly harder poses I threw at him. He said he’d like to do more in the future, which I’m going to take as a good sign. :)
5K on the treadmill today - it’s been snowing all day, so running outside seemed like a bad idea. It was nice, but I don’t have anything particularly riveting to report.
In more exciting news, my dad just asked me if I’d show him some basic yoga poses tomorrow. AND I’ve converted my brother to vegetarianism. He’s still eating tons of cheese and processed foods, but it’s a start! I told him to try to include more veggies in his diet and not worry too much about cutting things out as he’s getting used to not eating meat. Last night, he had seconds on salad. My friend who previously told me I’m her “running inspiration” is still working out! Healthy choices really do create a chain reaction, and it’s pretty incredible. :)
Lovely lovely 4.5 mile run today! I was very much not in the mood to do anything physical (especially in the cold) this afternoon, and it took me a solid 45 minutes to get out the door. I even went downstairs and looked at the treadmill before deciding I wanted to go outside. And what a good choice it was! Nothing quite beats the fear of twisting an ankle in the dark on a trail. Or, rather, an effortless run that happens to be in the dark. ;D
FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY went for a run today. It’s been 2 weeks of complaining about the snow outside and choosing to work out indoors. And that’s been nice - I haven’t neglected exercise by any means - but I’ve really missed running. I did 3.25 miles in 33 leisurely minutes. The first couple of minutes were rough and I was nervous about how the run would go, but I completed it and am so glad I did.
As for the last couple of days, I took a rest day on Friday because I was feeling lazy and got caught up watching nutrition videos… it happens. Yesterday I did P90X Shoulders and Arms. I also went out to dinner at Veggie Planet in Cambridge - oh my GOODNESS. It’s a vegetarian restaurant with a ton of delicious vegan options. If you’re in or around Cambridge, MA, I would highly recommend it. In addition to my delicious vegan meal, I got a vegan brownie. SO GOOD.
I haven’t been very good at tumblr lately, for a couple reasons:
- I started an internship this week that has me waking up at 6:30 in the morning and subsequently going to bed really early. I tend to have a lot of difficultly falling asleep, so I’ve been turning the computer off by 8:00 PM. In other words, my tumblr-surfing has been cut down significantly.
- I’ve been at the internship itself, instead of chilling at home doing nothing like I had been for a couple of weeks. I feel so much better when I’ve got a routine going - I’m infinitely more productive. I’ve been helping out in middle school English classrooms and will hopefully get involved in some drama and maybe even the literary magazine. It’s only for the month - my school has a January term - but it’s still quite exciting.
- I’ve been reading a lot more! Yay! I just finished Thrive by Brendan Brazier, a vegan ironman. He talks about the importance of lowering stress levels in the body in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle and emphasizes that one of the ways to do that is by eating healthful foods. I probably won’t follow the diet plan, since it involves buying a lot of foods that I currently don’t have stocked. I may try to integrate some new items, like coconut oil, gradually.
- I’ve been exercising! So even though I’ve been slacking to report, I’ve still been working out. On Tuesday, I did P90X Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps; yesterday I did Insanity Plyo Cardio Circuit; and today I did Yoga X.
- I’ve been eating. Okay, this really doesn’t have anything to do with my lack of tumblr-ing, but it’s still exciting! Fact: dates are incredible, and I have eaten an embarrassing (read: impressive) amount since I bought a container yesterday. I also have been eating lots of roasted chickpeas (sea salt flavor and cinnamon sugar), soy yogurt (Whole Soy Key Lime flavor is ridiculously good!), and GREEN SMOOTHIES. Delightful. Plus, the usually exquisite amounts of dark chocolate and tea, of course.
In other words, I’ll probably not be quite as active as I have been in the past (though I’ve never been a tumblr fiend), but I will try to continue updating this blog. I’m not even sure if anyone actually reads it, but it certainly helps me stay on track!
Rest day today. This morning I started an internship at a school and woke up at 6:15. Oof. The good news is that I’ll be able to wake up a little later from now on - I’ll have to get there around 7:50 rather than 7:30. 20 minutes makes a huge difference that early in the morning. I’m pretty tired, plus my calves are really sore. I may do a little yoga later, but right now I’m going to honor my mental health by sitting in bed drinking tea and watching How I Met Your Mother. :)